Because little is known about the actions of botanical estrogens (BEs), widely consumed by menopausal women, we investigated the mechanistic and cellular activities of some major BEs. We examined the interactions of genistein, daidzein, equol, and liquiritigenin with estrogen receptors ERα and ERβ, with key coregulators (SRC3 and RIP140) and chromatin binding sites, and the regulation of gene expression and proliferation in MCF-7 breast cancer cells containing ERα and/or ERβ. Unlike the endogenous estrogen, estradiol (E2), BEs preferentially bind to ERβ, but their ERβ-potency selectivity in gene stimulation (340- to 830-fold vs. E2) is enhanced at several levels (coregulator recruitment, chromatin binding); nevertheless, at high (0.1 or 1 μM) concentrations, BEs also fully activate ERα. Because ERα drives breast cancer cell proliferation and ERβ dampens this, the relative levels of these two ERs in target cells and the BE dose greatly affect gene expression and proliferative response and will be crucial determinants of the potential benefits vs. risks of BEs. Our findings reveal key and novel mechanistic differences in the estrogenic activities of BEs vs. E2, with BEs displaying patterns of activity distinctly different from those seen with E2 and provide valuable information to inform future studies PMID: 23882126
Mechanism Enforcing the Estrogen Receptor Beta-Selectivity of Botanical Estrogens, Jiang, Y., Gong, P., Madak-Erdogan, Z., Martin, T., Jeyakumar, M., Carlson, K., Khan, I., Smillie, T.J., Chittiboyina, A.G., Rotte S.C.K., Helferich, W.G., Katzenellenbogen, J.A., Katzenellenbogen, B.S., FASEB Journal 2013 Nov;27(11):4406-18,
By Administrator on November 1, 2013 in Botanical Estrogens, Breast Cancer, Genomics of Estrogen Receptor Signaling
- Estrogen receptor-α and aryl hydrocarbon receptor involvement in the actions of botanical estrogens in target cells.
- ERα-XPO1 crosstalk controls tamoxifen sensitivity in tumors by altering ERK5 cellular localization
- Estrogen and Microbiota Crosstalk: Should We Pay Attention?
- Nuclear and extranuclear-initiated estrogen receptor signaling crosstalk and endocrine resistance in breast cancer
- Design of pathway preferential estrogens that provide beneficial metabolic and vascular effects without stimulating reproductive tissues
Integrative Genomics of Gene and Metabolic Regulation by Estrogen Receptors α and β and Coregulators, Madak-Erdogan Z, Charn T.H, Jiang Y, Liu E.T., Katzenellenbogen J.A., Katzenellenbogen B.S.Molecular Systems Biology 2013 Jun 18;9:676,